Thursday, February 7, 2008

Winners of Picture of the Year International's international picture of the year awards (presented internationally, yearly, for pictures)

Charles Austin

Pretty much all of the pictures on the site are impressive, and basically make me think I should just quit right now becuase my dreams of shooting the "Science/Natural History Picture Story" photo of the year for Pictures of the Year International has no chance of coming to fruition. Even so, I really like a lot of these, and I am going to single out the "Pictoral" one because it is one of many good ones. The lighting and the location of all the people and animals almost makes it seem surreal, but it's way too cool to have been deliberately tampered with in Photoshop. It seems like it required a great deal of luck as well as skill (though, I guess most photography does) to get all the people, dogs and the horse lined up just exactly as they are. Everyone in the picture is independently going about doing their own things (or "thangs") and yet all the action happens to converge on a spot in the middle. Put together that luck, skill and the pristine scenery and I guess you have a Pictures of the Year International picture of the year winner. I think looking at good photography helps me understand what to keep in mind while taking pictures more than I would intuitively expect it to.
The only real blemish on the site is the uncreative name.

No comments: