Wednesday, February 27, 2008

True/False

Tonight I saw a sneak preview of the film "An Alternative to Slitting Your Wrist," and it was the most interesting film I've seen in months. The film follows the director, Owen Lowery, around for a year as he tries do accomplish a list of 52 things (one for each week of the year) to do rather than committing suicide. It played out kind of like a CurrentTV story in that it had the same type of rough feel to it. I think that Lowery and his crew did a really good job of not making a potentially cliche story into just another "this experience made my life do a complete 180" story. Case in point: one of the things on Lowery's list was to save someone's life; Lowery refused to say that he saved his own life.

Lowery and a couple of his friends who worked with him on the film were present after the screening to take questions, and I was blown away when he said that he had to edit over 120 hours of film to put together the final product. I guess that makes sense because it was years' worth of film, but still... I was slightly overwhelmed when I had 20 minutes of film on a recent project. Anyway, there was also a part of the film that showed Lowery editing on his computer, and I caught myself trying to figure out which editing program he was using. Good thing spring break is coming up...

No comments: