Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Visual Ethis

While reading the Visual Ethics piece, one thing that stuck me as interesting was when they were talking about the use of file tape in stories. I think this is a really interesting point. So often, we see stories where the same footage is aired over and over again. We begin to characterize the tragedy, or wrongdoing as being associated with those pictured, or only effecting those pictured.  This usually happens during natural disasters, or tragedies. The events that came to mind for me were September 11th, The Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina. 

Another thing I was thinking while reading this article, is what are the distinctions between art (photography, cinematography) and photojournalism? Certain publications blur these two to create a new sort of medium. Examples of these may be Documentary Film, Fashion Magazines, Special Interest Publications etc. These publications may provide useful information about the state of the world, but sensationalizes it or glamorizes it in a way. I see National Geographic as an excellent example. The magazine often covers very interesting stories, that are truthful and relevant to people, however when I look at photographs in that magazine, I see them more as art than as an accurate portrayal of how things are. 

Steve McCurry is a famous photographer that works for National Geographic. His website : www.stevemccurry.com
As we learned in Cross Cultural, we all have our individual biases. Often, I think photographers use those biases to view things in a different lens. Steve uses different techniques to glamorize, westernize, or beautify the subjects in his photos. The ones I find most interesting are those of the Afghan Girl. Check them out.


No comments: