Sunday, February 3, 2008

photo journalism

I am excited about the photo assignment we have been given, because I knew virtually nothing about photo journalism. I feel like the reading has given me more or a basic understanding of the most important components of photo journalism. I think the portion of the reading that I felt was most important for me was the page with the title "curious" with the picture of the little boy. I understand that most effective pictures have a common human element and the power of this is amazing. When viewing the street pictures, it gave me a feeling of "knowing" some of the people in the pictures. In some cases, my curiosity about the subjects of the pictures was even more peaked. I wanted to know more about them, the places they were in and why they were doing what they were doing. I thought that this quote was a great way to sum up the idea of a great photojournalist: "Good photojournalists are not in love with photography, they are in love with people and with life." Although, when I think about everything written about in the article and the quality of the pictures in the slideshow, I feel like the seriousness and power of photojournalism is not reflected on enough by those not studying it.

No comments: