Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lead waste

Sarah Steffen

I chose the radio story about the removal of lead waste from Washington County. Especially children can suffer from high lead levels in their blood. I thought the story was interesting, and I could listen to it very well, even if it was not an easy topic to report about. To some extent the reporter had to quote numbers, such as lead values - and she really did a good job in balancing it.
However, I struggled with the beginning. I didn't like it that I couldn't hear what the EPA official was saying, despite the fact that it was not important at all, because he was just explaining how workers are removing lead waste ("Aah, what he's doing here is excavating the yard..."). Still I was distracted, because I couldn't really focus on the reporters voice nor the man's voice. I just kept on listening because I was interested in the topic.
I also would like to know what happens after they did remove the soil. Where does it go, the soil full of lead?
Despite some minor criticism I really liked the realization of the story idea. I also liked the voicing.

No comments: