Thursday, February 7, 2008

Equestrian Statue

By Gretchen Pressley

I chose this picture out of the magazine picture winners to talk about because it was just such an interesting view. The caption starts, "Newly broke horse and rider pause for a short rest while kids play with the hounds on a sunny autumn day at Apajpuszta, Hungary." And yet the horse and rider are a minuscule part of the picture itself. In fact, the head of one dog and a human pair of legs are the biggest things in the picture.

I enjoyed looking at this picture because there are just so many things to see. It is taken exactly as our eyes would see it. It is artistic in the layers it presents; the dog's head and the legs are slightly out of focus. Then my eyes jumped to the two girls playing farther back in the shot. I practically didn't even notice the horse until I read the caption and searched for it. It made me smile because the important part of the picture, at least according to the caption, was something that came as a surprise.

Anyways, though many of the other pictures created a much more emotional response in me, I chose this one because it made me smile and I could picture myself there looking across the grass, just as the camera does for me.


No comments: