Friday, February 8, 2008

Final Salute

Sarah Steffen

"Final Salute" really touched me. The pictures were so intense, I could feel the pain and the mourning. Especially the picture of Katherine Cathey hugging the casket was sad. There were several ones I just couldn't take my eyes off. Most pictures I have seen do transport the emptiness felt by the victim's families. I also liked those photos that can be interpreted as sort of metaphors, e.g. Major Steve Beck and his shadow approaching a family house.
However, it was two pictures which striked me most. One shows Cathey's father at the funeral; his tears and the empty look in his eyes reveal all the desperation he feels. The second one shows Katherine Cathey spending the night by the casket. She lies in a small bed and listens to songs that remind her of her husband. One Marine stands in the back, watching her while she falls asleep. This picture is so full of intimacy, documenting Katherine's last goodbye.
I was surprised how close the photographer could get. He shot pictures in the most intimate moments. So the technique of blending has worked very well in that case. I think the first place is well deserved.

No comments: