Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Community Awareness

Out of all the award-winning photos, I found the community awareness ones to be most striking. Unlike pictures I usually like, these weren't "beautiful" or aesthetically pleasing to me... but rather truth-telling. These photos are such a great example of good journalism. Through these shots, a story is being told. Sometimes we're so used to looking at shots of families, special events, landscapes, etc. These are on an entirely different level. I felt almost uncomfortable looking at them because they depict an entirely different way of life. There are so many emotions and secrets that seem to jump out of these pictures. Since I've grown up a certain way and lived a blessed kind of life- it was hard to look at these and remind myself that people are living differently and perhaps, more difficultly.
These pictures are definitely in the right category- awareness. To remind the world of the underlying stories we don't see, and maybe don't want to see.

No comments: