Monday, February 18, 2008

KBIA Story

Several things stood out to me as I listened to Matt Velker’s Dec. 28 story on the local impact of the No Child Left Behind Act. First was that he did a good job of taking a national story and breaking it down into an angle that would resonate better with a mid-Missouri audience.

From a technical standpoint, I though the use of natural sound at the beginning and end of the piece made sense and helped draw the listener into a school setting. Less appealing however, was the way the volume of his interviews was significantly lower than that of his voice.

I noticed that he used his vocal inflection a bit more than I would have expected from a news piece. While I understand that certain subtleties would be hard to keep out of a recording, I felt like he did it to a point that made me question the objectivity of the piece.

No comments: