Monday, February 18, 2008

KBIA Story: Manzini

Before Thursday's class, I probably never would have noticed that this story had entirely too much information. After listening to the whole thing, I am left dumbfounded as to what the point was. Was I supposed to focus on the fact that he grew up in a mob family or focus on the variety and danger of his escapes? Or should I have walked away with a sense of the accomplishments he has made and his future plans? While the story was intruiging, the journalist went a little overboard, cramming the entire life of Manzini into a concise radio story. A more direct and clearer approach, like just focusing on his escape into show business, would have yielded a deeper understanding of a certain part of Manzini.
Also, I think the story lacked ambient sound. Even a grunt or a laugh... perhaps even sound of him doing an escape would have been beneficial to the monotonous tone of the story.
All that being said, the story did follow some of the guidelines we discussed like attribution at the beginning of sentences and the subject, verb, object order. I was never confused as to what was being said, just a little overwhelmed by the end.

No comments: