Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Photo of the Year

The most touching set of photos to me were those of Katherine Cathey the wife who lost her husband. My favorites in particular were those of her clinging to her husbands coffin, those of her in her home setting, and the one of her sleeping next to the coffin at night. The photos communicated a sense of intimacy, and I appreciate her willingness to share such a traumatic experience with the entire world. Not only were the photos of Cathey touching, but I really like how the pictures told a story themselves. 
First, I looked at the photo set and read the captions, and then watched the flash video. The captions and photos themselves were powerful enough to communicate a strong message, which made the audio/photo presentation even more powerful. In all honestly, I didn't even read the article, because I felt the photographer had already done such a powerful job telling the story. I liked that the same story was told in a number of ways because some people gravitate towards some methods of understanding more than others. 

No comments: