Thursday, February 7, 2008

"Final Salute"

This is was very effective presentation - it made me cry! The photographer and the writer seem to have made a great team. I think that it must have been difficult to gain the type of intimate access to the subject that they showed the viewer/reader they had. This story is very timely and this is something that has affected many American countries. Although as the viewer/reader, you don't personally know the people portrayed, by the end of the presentation you feel as if you have learned a lot about the lives of this family. You cannot help but think about how the death of the soldier will forever effect the life of his young wife and family.
The most difficult and haunting image in the slideshows for me is the picture in which the pregnant wife is hanging her body over the casket of her husband and Beck standing in support near her. It portrays true emotion, yet it is a fairly simple photo.
I like that this story was first from the angle of Beck and his role in the Marines and then the families whose lives were affected. It gave me a look inside an experience that I know nothing about, and it will stay with me as I go about my life.

No comments: