Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Staging

At first glance, the large quote in the margin of the article really caught my attention. "Whatever you call it, it's not the truth". This article brought up questions that I had always wondered myself. Is is considered "cheating" in journalism to recreate an event or action? If I witnessed a reporter asking a group of people to recreate an emotion they felt when they heard good news, I would be disgusted and pretty much ashamed to be put in the same category as that reporter. No wonder so many people don't trust journalists. If they see a person recreating, or worse, actually staging a news story, then they're going to remember that while watching the nightly news. I think it is really important to define that line that decides if the staging is appropriate and needed in the story.

No comments: