Monday, February 18, 2008

Neuticles

by Chelsea Williams

"Neuticles" definitely caught me off guard initially. The subject matter was not something I was expecting, nor familiar with at all. Once the reporter mentioned that if you don't have a dog, this piece won't interest you, I was slightly taken aback because I do not have a dog, and have never had one. However, in abruptly jumping in to the topic of neuticles, the reporter easily captivated the audience. The constant dog barking in the background served as a reassurance that these substitute testicles for dogs would, indeed, work effectively. It also offered entertaining ambient sound, keeping the listeners tuned in completely. While I enjoyed hearing about neuticles from the perspective of a man who had devoted his life to the cause, I really appreciated hearing the other side of things. The vet offered a much more rational explanation that was far easier for me to relate to. I found "Neuticles" to be an easy, straightforward story that avoided complexities, and in doing so uncovered an interesting and relevant story. Even as a non-dog owner, I felt included. Also, the one phrase I thoroughly enjoyed was when the reporter was referring to the cost, and cleverly used "900 bones" instead of 900 dollars. It was witty and won me over on the spot.

No comments: