Friday, February 29, 2008

Ethics

Images are so powerful. I believe they can influence people in many ways. I strongly agree with the author of this article who states that journalism is about reporting the truth. We need to self-check ourselves and make sure we are not adding things that truly do not exist. I was shocked to hear about the t.v. station adding sounds of guns and shot machines. To me it's hard to even believe that it made it on the air. I would have expected that someone who have stopped it before going on. That just goes to show you how important self-checking is. We as journalists have to hold ourselves accountable. I also like what the author says about file tape. It makes me think. Why do we use file tape when it can send a message that nothing is new? I'm sure the answer is convenience, but is it worth it? I guess that is something only we can decided for ourselves. I believe overall it is important that journalists realize what they are producing impacts people and that we need to remember to be ethical with our words, images, and video.

No comments: