Monday, February 18, 2008

Manzini

I liked this story the most of the three because from the very beginning it was captivating. The descriptive language used painted a picture of what Manzini would look like before ever hearing him speak. While the listener is unable to see Manzini, because it is a radio piece, I still felt like I'd be able to pick him out in a crowd. 
I think the journalist did a great job providing background information on Manzini, as well as making the story relatable to Columbia area residents. I was surprised to find he was from Columbia. From the description provided I thought he'd be from a far more exotic location.
As the story progressed however, I began to lose interest. As they began to include information about his Mob family and other personal stories told by Manzini. It almost became to broad to me, and I mentally didn't want to process so many angles to the story. It almost seemed autobiographical, which maybe was its intent, but to me was not very interesting. 
I think the journalist did a great job of writing for the ear in this piece, however, with the length and variety of information in the story, it got a little boring toward the end. Also, I would've liked the journalist to take on a less formal tone of voice, or speak less in general. I liked listening to Manzini more so than listening to the journalist. 

No comments: