Friday, February 22, 2008

Staged, Staging, Stages

This was a very interesting subject to explore that I don’t think many journalists really think about when referring to photography. Staging a photo, in my mind, would be the same as asking a person to say a particular thing while interviewing them because it will sound good in a story. I agree with Dave Wertheimer when he says that that is dishonest journalism. As journalists, there are so many obstacles fighting against us that being blatantly dishonest will not get the trust of our readers at all. I thought the tips that Wertheimer gave at the end of this article were quite fascinating and useful in all other aspects of journalism that I may get the opportunity to put to the test in the coming weeks. Journalists do alter the “truth” of a story simply with their presence and the addition of cameras and other technical equipment do not help, therefore the tips that Wertheimer has generated seem like excellent ideas in helping people feel comfortable with a journalists and equipment. I may just try them for our next assignment. 

No comments: