Friday, February 29, 2008

Sliding Sound, Altered Images (where have I seen this before?)

Tracy Pfeiffer

I think that the article about sound and images is a great guide for journalists who are in an ethical dilemma. The changes in technology over the past decade or so has made it exponentially easier to manipulate photographs, sound, and video. I was photoshopping myself into pictures with Orlando Bloom as early as the eighth grade--and I was quite good at it, if I do say so myself. I think that the article also poses relevant questions underneath its guiding principles, like the questions posed underneath the "file tape" category. But my favorite part of the article comes when they say that sound can invisibly trick a viewer. I had never really thought of it that way before. I've read somewhere that most television viewers don't actually watch their newscasts--they listen to it while cooking dinner or sitting on their computer. So I think that, in television, the manipulation of audio is, in some ways, more atrocious than the manipulation of video.

No comments: