Friday, September 28, 2007

Staging=Fake?

Staging? It's ok. But don't be fake.

The norm of journalism includes accuracy, objectivity, etc. That is to say, journalism has to be the truth. Journalists have to tell their audiences the facts, rather than any fake things, or scenes. Carpote wrote a non-fiction novel, which is ridiculous to me. Because when I read the book, I could not believe what he had written. That's not journalism at all.

However, sometimes you cannot avoid staging. A couple of years ago, when I was walking in a park carrying my camera to complete my assignment, I saw an old couple sitting on a bench, leaning on the back, with their eyes closed. They seemed like having a nap, very peacefully, comfortably. Then I got more close to them to get a full shot. Unexpectably, they opened their eyes... So I had to ask them whether I could take a photo of them, and whether they could close their eyes again. They were so nice, and did what I wanted them to do. But when my camera focused on them, I could not find the peaceful atmosphere any more. They closed their eyes, and sat so stiffly as bodies... That is really a bad experience of my staging photos.

Actually, I find that in America, many people are very willing to express themselves naturally toward a still camera or video camera without any trouble. That means journalists' work will be much more easier, doesn't it?

No comments: