Thursday, September 27, 2007

The ethics are getting stricter, while the news quality is not getting any better

While I agree that it is best to do what Dave Wertheimer said, the truth is in reality, it is very difficult to stick to all those principles, and it is very unclear sometimes. Sometimes all that we can only check with our conscience. If I ask someone to continue doing what they are doing to take a photo of them, it is OK. But if I ask them to do what they did again, so that I can take a photo of them, then it is staged.

Also, the media rules are now stricter than in the past, but the news quality is going down. Just watch TV and see how the hosts say ridiculous things just to bring attention to themselves and get higher ratings (O'Reilly on Fox News is a case in mind). So all this seems ironic to me. On one hand, people come up with all sorts of new ethics. On the other hand, the news quality keeps going down. Or we have two kinds of ethics: for the elite media and for the tabloids? As far as I know, the tabloids are winning.

No comments: