Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Photos of the year offered inspiration

Viewing the photos of the year before I went out on my photo assignment gave me some interesting ideas for what to shoot. I was so impressed with the angles and insight that the photographers used. The winners realized that it was necessary to get really close and capture the emotions of the subjects. I particularly noticed this in the first place for newspaper with “Uninsured” with the woman on the bed and the other woman over her. The focus is in their embrace as well as the old woman’s emotions. I really enjoyed “New Pope Announced” that highlighted the body language of the nuns as well as their excited faces.

I noticed the similarities of the magazine and newspaper style. For example, the magazine used more colors and more creative angles and techniques, but they had the same basic ideas of composition. The rule of thirds was particularly prominent, and I noticed unique angles. Also, the most important thing that I took away was their ability to get close to the subject that they are shooting. This enabled the photographers to capture some of the most important aspects for the subject and to make the photo pop. They had good examples of portrait, establishing and detail shots. This really brought in the viewer to read the caption and understand what was going on in the photo. Overall, I thought the images were very inspirational, and they influenced me to learn more about the stories.

No comments: