Tuesday, September 4, 2007

POY: Sports Feature

Out of the types of photography I like best, I’ve never been much for sports photography because I feel that often, the images used by news outlets are too mundane. A player dribbling a basketball and going up for a shot, or a golfer looking for that perfect stroke are images that could come from anywhere. This is why I was very surprised when my favorite photographs came from the sports feature category.
Particularly, I was impressed with the atypical look photographer Benjaman Sklar took at Lyndon Box. Technically, the photograph is perfect. While perhaps there’s no conventional use of the rule of thirds, Sklar does a great job of filling the frame and making the empty space look like it’s supposed to be there, rather than as a complete waste. The beads of sweat on Box’s head are perfectly crystallized and frozen, making the image far more intriguing than seeing sweat run down an athlete’s head. It looks great in black and white, as opposed to color, and I think it gives the picture a far more serious tone, that complements the tension given by the tightness of the frame, as well as the furrowing of Box’s brow.
Looking at this photograph from the point of view of a photography consumer, however, I just really like it. There’s something about the way Box looks straight ahead that I think I can identify with. He’s completely fixed, and even though you can’t see what he’s staring at, you know he’s got a goal, and he’s got direction.

No comments: