Sunday, September 30, 2007

Photo Editing and Staging

Though I have little experience with video ethics, including the implication of staging video, I have a lot of photography experience. I know that the idea of cropping photographs or splicing images together in such a way that it alters the reality of a situation is wrong in still mediums, so I can only assume that the same standard should be followed when dealing with moving pictures or video footage. I think that the best photojournalists and videographers simply get it right the first time, and put in the time and effort necessary so that they get the good shot with that perfect light, or best frame, or capture the best moment at any given shoot. Using elaborate editing techniques or distorting reality, to me, is just sloppy photojournalism and a violation of the trust viewers have in journalists.  It should be avoided at all costs.

No comments: