Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Dalicious

Since so many of the photos captured me and held me captive,
it took a long time to get to the Multimedia photo essays. Before I voice my opinion on those, I must say that each one of the spot news winners were incredible. The images from Iraq and Togo were horrific and captivating, placing me in the moment and holding me in that second when the image took place. That being said, I feel as though those images led to me liking the Dali essay so much.
So many of the winners were photos capturing strife and anguish. These emotions are always beautiful for photographs and always make compelling images. Sometimes I find myself growing weary of the emotional wrenching of photos from war zones. With the Dali photos, it was a flash of creativity-both in subject matter and presentation- that was needed and well received.
I thought it was a clever, original idea that was executed well. Beginning with the steps, I felt drawn in. It's such a strange image of him and it's all over the town. The photograph I especially liked was the one in the storefront window using the reflection. It gave you the feeling that everywhere in the city, Salvador Dali was there, looking over your shoulder. He was everywhere, and I felt like by showing all the places his face was, it gave you the sense of him haunting you. It almost mirrors the madness of Dali himself.

No comments: