Thursday, September 6, 2007

The photos I enjoy

I am overwhelmed by the large number of good photos in this website. It is too difficult to choose the one I like most. The winners in Sports Action, for example, are just beyond my words. The photo of two surfers competing of Eric Luse managed to capture the high surge of a wave in such a way that reminds me of the paintings describing fishermen fighting against a violent sea storm. It is a great curve, by the way, the way the wave launches itself forward. The viewer has the feeling of going to be engulfed by it.
I often like looking at portrait photos, as I enjoy communicating with the characters in them. The strangest of them here is “All eyes on you” by Sarah Orr, in which only the upper half of the face of the woman with her eyes was shot. And such sharp and critical eyes she had.
Another favorite of mine is the pictorial photo by Kevin German “The Sacramento Bee”, in which he shot a red track shoe splashing through the sand. The sand flies up and forms all kinds of patterns, while the red shoe seems to stop, hovering. A thick splash of sand creates a frame for the eye-catching shoe. Only art can make something so mundane so beautiful.

No comments: