Friday, September 7, 2007

POYi

Sarah Orscheln

I noticed that the first place newspaper photographer of the year differed a lot from the first place magazine photographer of the year. The newspaper shots seemed to focus on one thing, and one thing well, emotion. The emotive expressions of every shot don't leave you guessing. There is ample background to help set the scene in each shot (for example: the cage in the bus that the woman and two boys are sitting in shows us not only the woman singing and the boys blank stare, but the window, the cage etc. as well). The magazine photos of the year were my favorite. I loved it that there was so much attention to detail, and yet the shots seemed well composed and focused. I never felt like a shot was too cluttered, and often it was a shot of A LOT of different things. There were so many components that made each scene worth looking at. I felt like each photo told a story about the people in it. Whether it be the two men out in the field with the red-hatted knome, or the little boy peering up at ritzy elites at the social, each photo left me wanting to know more about the people it represented.

No comments: