Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"First Place"

As I looked through the POYI website, I was really drawn to the newspaper photographer of the year winner, Barbara Davidson. In each of her photos, she caught the emotion in the moment. I really liked her picture of Agatha Anene, a girl who attended Queen of Rosary secondary school located in a small village of Eziowlle, Nigeria. What intrigued me about this picture is the angle that Davidson took Anene’s picture. Another reason why I am drawn to this picture is the wall. Teachers and employers have always told me to never shoot someone right next to the wall and that there should be some distance between them. The reasoning behind that is because if you shoot someone away from a wall, it reduces that person’s shadow. When I look at this picture, I cannot tell if Anene is standing right next to the wall or not. If she is right next to the wall, I would like to know what kind of lighting she used or how many lights she used and if any filters were used while shooting this outside. Moving away from the technical side of this picture and more towards the journalistic side, you can see lots of emotion in Anene’s face. She looks tired and this could be because “Pupils have to trek long distances to class in rubber sandals or bare feet,” as said in the caption.

No comments: