Monday, September 17, 2007

Mario Manzini

As a member of an Italian family still connected with its heritage, the part of the story that most sticks out in my mind was the inclusion of the Manzini family's place in the mob. Perhaps I'm oversensitive about the topic, but I couldn't help but wonder the relevance of that side of Manzini's life in this story. I understand it was a family tradition he didn't want to carry on, and entertaining was his way to avoid following his father. At the same time, the story makes it seem like Manzini would have been an entertainer regardless. So, if that's the case, do we need to know his family was in the mob and further support a common misconception of all Italians?

Anyway, I'm sure that wasn't the point of listening to these stories, but that's what I remember most about that one. I also have to say that I thought the reporter talked too much at the beginning. I wanted to hear Manzini sooner. In general, the reporter told a lot that Manzini could have told himself. Some background noise was distracting as well but I'm sure inevitable.

No comments: