Monday, June 23, 2008

Writing for a visual medium

From: MinLo

I apologize, somehow I missed this blog entry. Anyways, writing for a visual medium... I think the most important thing is to write to the video you have, whether it be say dog, see dog, or something less obvious. But write to the actual video, the b-roll, graphics, whatever, not the interviews. It's not always that easy, especially if your video is about something that already happened. Otherwise, writing the story isn't too bad... Just write out/log everything you learned, decide what bites are best said by someone else and what information is best told by someone else-- and it can be good to let the subject say something if you have absolutely no video that could match it. Someone once told me that in broadcast news interviews should only pepper your stories, not overpower them, and that is something I try to keep in mind-- but I hate hearing my own voice.

No comments: