Sunday, June 22, 2008

Writing for a visual medium

I find it somewhat hard to write for a visual medium, and I feel like I, along with others, probably make it harder than it has to be.

It is easy to do the see-dog, say-dog style. Some people would probably call it boring, but I find it quite effective. Our job as video journalists is to tell a story that is important to people, we don't have to make it complicated.

Everyday language is also very important. I don't think words should be used that are not used in everyday life. It is very important to me that every person listens understands the story. On the flip side, you don't want to look down on people or insult their intelligence.

I like what Lynda said about not 'teeing up' an interview with "Joe Smith says... ." Surly we can find a more compelling way to introduce someone.

Overall, I think that writing for a visual medium should be as minimal as possible. I would prefer to let citizens tell their own stories.

No comments: