Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Infographics-Lauren Stine

I faced the problem of having an infographic with so much information that I felt like I was flooding the viewer in J2100 when I made an interactive map. It can be really difficult to decide what information is necessary and what isn't because as a journalist you still want to give the viewer/reader the whole truth without leaving anything important out. This is why I agree with Quealy that not all stories warrant an infographic. It is our job as journalists to take information and data and make it meaningful. By throwing a bunch of data at the reader they are most likely going to walk away with little knowledge of what they just saw. Because of this it is beneficial to create graphics that have less data and more explanation so that the viewer can really understand what it is they are looking at. 

No comments: