Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Web Page Design

In all honesty, I must have missed the day the e-res passwords were given out, and whether to use Lynda or Karen's section. So I couldn't get to the articles. I do however have something to say about web design. In my opinion a good web design, regardless of that pages content could make or break a page or story. I'm a lazy consumer, I'm not going to spend forever clicking around on the page trying to find where I want to go because it's not clearly marked. And frankly, roll-over graphics that expand as I'm moving around, annoy the living daylights out of me. The weather section for a news station in my home town just did a big make-over on their weather page because they got new equipment and wanted to shamelessly promote it. During the process the web designer must have gotten a big head and went to town, because it's so gobbledy-gooped up I can't find what I'm looking for, and even if I could, I'm not so sure I could figure out how to use it.

It's the same way for my parents who are still attempting to discover the on/off switch on the computer. As long as we keep it turned on, they're ok about getting on to the internet (they have my Convergence page bookmarked...scary, I know) but when a site they need to get to is too complicated, they refuse to go to it. 

Webpage design must be kept simple otherwise it gets in the way of the content of the page. I don't go to a webpage to see if it was well built, I go there to learn how to do something, to read a story, or to decide if I need to wear real shoes or if I can get away with flip flops because I have to cross Lowery Mall during the day, if if its raining, you don't do that in flip flops unless you're partial to skating. 

No comments: