Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Just Plain Ugly

I feel that the first aspect designers should be worried about is functionality. No matter how creative the page looks, if it's not easily navigable, then its frustrating page. I remember trying to find a certain quote by J.K. Rowling from her official page. The home page was extremely creative. It had a a big picture where you could click on different objects in the picture to bring you to different pages. The problem was that I couldn't tell how many links there were, or where they were about to lead me to. You had to magically drag you mouse over the right spots just to find where the links were.
I think another big thing in design is color, making sure you can read everything and the colors don't clash and burn your eyes out. Words can't be too small either. Other that that, I feel that having obvious links is important. You should be able to look at a page and know exactly what you need to click on to navigate. Whether the link has a button like appearance or is just a different color, it needs to be obvious.

No comments: