Tuesday, June 17, 2008

For Better or For Worse?

Back when the Olympic torch was going through California, I remember watching TV and comparing some of the footage I saw on CNN to what I saw on a more amatuer video on Current.Com. I believe it was called "Dude, Where's My Torch?", and I can easily recall its content. CNN was showing a few aerial shots, a few shots of the crowd, a few shots of the torch and some not-quite-as-harsh comments from the crowd. I felt like I got the idea of the story, but it wasn't until I watched the amatuer video that I realized CNN had not been able to capture the emotion. Whoever did this amatuer video had great shots, though some could have been steadier. They had great sound bites where people were letting out whatever was on their mind, and they really captured the tense feeling between the proud Chinese, and those who were fighting to "Free Tibet." If I do remember right, I think they also used music, an ethical no no.
Needless to say, it was an amazing video that really felt like it was at the heart. It felt raw and real, like they weren't trying to hide anything. Maybe it had something to do with the fact people could open up to someone that's not a reporter easier, or they could get better shots without the shell of a live truck riding on their back. Who knows? Either way, I was somewhat appalled in thinking about what else I could be missing from other stories. How much more was there that I missed?

No comments: