Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Internet is Evil

So, apparently my old posts did not post as I would have liked, i.e. actually onto the page, luckily I saved my old posts to my computer. To Review:
KBIA
I like the idea of a print and audio combined. To be honest for the lazy consumer having an audio news story is ideal, because then you don't have to take the time to read. However, what kind of a person would spend time looking for a news only to not read it?

I think the audio for "Regional Airports Feel Effects of High Fuel Costs" (http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kbia/
news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1293246) was interesting, because you can almost hear the strain in the voices of her interviewees. I think audio adds personality to otherwise flat pieces. There was no natural sound, which was disappointing. Natural sound wasn't essential to the story, but would have been a nice touch.

The print story was disappointing, because it offered no new information. I would have liked more detail in the print story, but again not really necessary. I understood the point of the story. Overall, I enjoyed this type of media.

Staging Video
Instant gut reaction: ACK!! BAD!!! Don't stage your video! Every time I walk through the arch of the journalism buildings I see "Wise shall be the bearers of light" engraving. I think that phrase explains what I think journalists in this era do: Bring the truth to light. We don't make the truth happen, we simply show the truth. In my mind it's almost like shining a flashlight out on the world and saying, "Look at this it's interesting and you should know about it, because it's the truth."

Journalistic Video
The story I picked to blog about is "Playing Ball for Life" http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRender/KOMU.com/
ba8a4513-c0a8-2f11-0063-9bd94c70b769/7a854a69-80ce-0971-0140-fd25e9769356 . The story is your classic child gets cancer, community fiscal support surges to help family. I picked this story mostly for its multimedia coverage. The story was covered on the news, put to the web, and had pictures added. I thought the pictures added to the story, but the text story was basically the script of the video. Overall, I thought the story was a good video piece, but more detailed coverage would be needed for the text piece. I received no new information for the text, however, the pictures did add to the overall story.

Writing for a visual media seems difficult. You have to re-say all the questions you said, without actually saying them. You also need to have a sort of rhythm in order for it to sound right.

No comments: