Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Video critique

MinLo

I wasn't sure where to go so I just decided to look at something from Springfield and chose a KY3 story on two teenagers dying after a police chase (http://www.ky3.com/home/video/19616809.html). This was more of a breaking news piece and not as featury (I don't think that's a word) as something we'll do for this class... It was mostly a voice over with one soundbite at the end. I would say the reporter did a good job with what he had, but since I have to be critical:
Since he didn't have multiple bites separating his vo, I did start to feel like it was just random wide, medium, and close-up shots of the car that was wrecked, but I'm not sure that he could have done anything else in the situation. At one point he describes the route of the chase and I would have liked a map (I'm a map nerd), or maybe it could have accompanied a print story. There was a short print story under the video and it wasn't verbatim of the video story... I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think it might drive people to watch the video, but say I was at work and I couldn't play a story and I just wanted to read it, I would probably go to the newspaper for the story. Or maybe I would have done that in the first place anyways. This video story was set up chronologically, and think a print story would have been the same, and in fact I think this story would have been just fine as a print piece because the video was pretty redundant and unnecessary (well, necessary for the reporter, not for me).

No comments: