Monday, May 21, 2007

Snider and road flares

I found myself incredibly drawn to the second photograph in Snider's gallery. You can feel history in that person's hands. In such a simply gesture, you can practically feel the age, work, pain, and patience in those hands. It was incredible, and it gave me chills. That is the mark of a great photograph, in my mind. It should make you feel something.

I have to admit that part of the picture hunt piece amused me. While I think that I sometimes get a little carried away with photography (I've loaded up my car with film and disappeared for days at a time, much to my parents' chagrin), I somehow doubt I will ever find the need to keep road flares in my car. Then again, it's very easy to picture myself becoming a journalistic pack-rat, stashing batteries and notepads and other pieces of kit around my house and car. I suppose now I just need to figure out how to temper my curiosity with patience.

No comments: