Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Backpack Journalism

I must admit I see compelling arguments for both sides of this issue. While I personally relish the idea of being incredibly versatile in my ability to deliver news stories, I have also heard concerns voiced from professors at this university that the Convergence sequence will produce reporters who are "an inch deep and a mile wide". I think that the issue can be circumvented by training journalists who have an in depth grasp of a few specific areas, as opposed to attempting to master everything. If agencies are trying to save money or expand to include multimedia, it is still more efficient to have two people work a story (one doing video and sound, the other doing the photography and writing and cooperating on the internet applications, for example) than to send an entire crew. I think that while convergence journalists should have experience in all aspects of news production, it would be more beneficial to the journalists to specialize, with the benefit of also having familiarity with other skills to call up when needed.

No comments: