Monday, May 21, 2007

Picture Hunting

Photojournalism is something new for me, the one aspect of journalism for which I have not had any formal training or classes up until now. And after reading David LaBelle’s article on “Picture Hunting,” photojournalism is something I’m willing to learn about. However I know that along with learning a new thing comes some growing pains. I’ve tried to take LaBelle’s advice with me as I worked on the photo assignment and have found the new perspective to be both challenging and exciting. LaBelle talks about finding the emotions and composition in your subjects, two aspects that are difficult to put into words for print but absolutely essential to photography. By searching for the humanity in a situation the readers will get the best possible representation of what is happening in the photo. This is shown beautifully in David Snider’s photos, which are really engaging and inspiring for me as I try out this new medium.

No comments: