Monday, May 21, 2007

David Sniders Street Pictures

The thing that I found most impressive about David Snider’s Street Pictures was his commitment to his craft. I cannot imagine spending twelve years of my life developing my portfolio, and meticulously selecting from that twenty-three photos as representation for the entire period. It truly shows his dedication and passion for photography.

I think the thing that I can take from this discussion and apply to my place in the journalist world is the great quote from his critiques class, "It's not the heat, it's the timidity." I think that passiveness is probably the number one attribute that separates a story, from an acceptable story. In all areas of journalism, journalist must learn that they cannot shy away from asking the right questions no matter how tough or risky they seem. A timid approach to journalism will get you nowhere and leave you quoteless, angleless, and in the end storyless. You can not and must not be afraid to go that extra mile, down the path less traveled.

As for his pictures, I found them delicate and passionate, and they displayed Snider’s ability to capture the human drama. My personal favorite was the split photos of the young man in the tuxedo and the old man walking the streets portraying the changes in a man’s life as time passes.

No comments: