Monday, May 21, 2007

David Snider's Street Pictures

When I first saw the title "Street Pictures" I expected another montage of depressing "real-life" people resembling those of the Hoover era. As it turned out, I was mistaken. While there are some photos with a dismal edge, I think Snider's pictures are an excellent portrayal of life today. The pictures definitely come from the aspect of a "patient watcher of humanity."
Putting the photographs aside, I do think that Snider's story as a successful photographer is more inspiring. Whenever I hear the word "freelance" or think of the idea of myself as a photographer I become disheartened. To me photography has always been a journalistic facet that requires enormous amounts of effort and yields few rewards. However, after reading the short description of Snider's photography success my mind has changed. Even though I have always heard that success is measured by effort and passion, Snider's story confirms this theory.
My personal favorite is the photo of the waiter. I think this picture is great. I think it captures the activity of the scene photographed. I think the most important aspect of the photos in the waiter's foot. Snider captured the waiter in mid-step which adds to his "hurry." The photo makes me want to know what is going on in the background.
Another important aspect of the small article was that it addressed the hesitation of the photographer to photograph people without their permission. For me, this is a major obstacle. But I have come to realize that to be a good journalist you must be forward. When it comes to finding the perfect story or shooting the perfect photograph, there is no room for hesitation or self doubt.

No comments: