Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Chris Leeker
Personally I like to think that I can study without the use of prescription medication. It comforts me to know that I don't need to use a drug that gives you a "high" or increases your seretonin level just get in a few more hours studying. Adderall does in fact play a large role in my specific social scene. While I have never used the drug, I'd say that 80-90% of my friends have used it or use it constantly. I know at least 3 or 4 people that use adderall on a daily basis and sell their perscriptions. Aside from illegality of this widespread use I see two other problems. The first is psychological. How come people feel like they need to use adderall "all of the sudden." I think that most of the college students using the drug did not use it in middle school or high school, why is it that they feel they need it in collge to be successful when clearly their grades were high enough to enable them to be admitted to a University before their introduction to addreall. The second question I ask is, are there any long term side effects of the drug. The students that are taking adderall now are merely lab rats. The drug is not old enough to have given anyone any information about any severe long term effects.
I think this radio story went well. It definitely caught my interest. I think that an interview from a medical doctor could have added to the story, and obviously I think that the students doing the story could have found someone on the MU campus that would have talked about adderall openly. I think identified sources would have been better.

No comments: