Thursday, April 10, 2008

Web Design

Though people in my generation have been looking at web pages for the majority of our lives, the finer points of the design of these platforms for information have largely been overlooked by most. Even though many do not know the first thing about how design a web page, our eyes are smarter than our skills. Whether things are too far apart or misaligned or an odd color, any design flaw surfaces in the first few seconds of viewing a web page and the chapters reinforce that notion by putting names to the principles that the eye already knows. 

One of the more interesting tips that I found was the tip to use a page break instead of a new paragraph in order to eliminate unnecessary space. Also, the tip buried in a caption to make a period the same color in order to create a spacer was an interesting one, and something that without lots of web design experience, I would never have thought to implement. I appreciated how the chapters broke down the complicated depths of design into simple principles and illustrated tips, and I'll be sure to use those the next time that I have the opportunity to design something, letting what my eyes already know be supported by documented design facts.

No comments: