Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Design

I really enjoyed reading the Design principles for non-designers, because I am a non-designer. The alignment trick/technique is something that I learned in high school for the newspaper but I had no idea the same elements should be applied to the Internet. But as I looked at some of my favorite pages, I noticed that they all had the same repetition of alignment.

Most of what I read were chunks of knowledge I already had internalized. For example the proximity is an element when done wrong, confuses many viewers. Some websites that I’ve visited lately have this common mistake. A millimeter too much can lead me to think that I’m in the wrong section or that fact can’t possibly belong with that photograph. Although this may have been in my subconscious I appreciated the tips provided in the text because now that they are called to my attention I can identify problems within my own webpage for our final project.

Alignment and proximity are simple techniques but contrast I feel is more for a designer and I imagine this is where I will get tripped up in creating my final webpage. I’m trying to start envisioning what will be the most important focal point in my webpage and how I will use contrast to easily guide the eyes through the page. I also will need to think about how that focal point will convey a hierarchy in importance. For our project I’m starting to think that a possibly a superimposed image of his art will work for the background and as you click on the different elements it will lead you to different parts of the story. This will symbolize the way in which the art is created as well. All different pieces, collected from different beginnings, but brought together to create a final piece of art.

No comments: