Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Flash journalism

I liked the second assigned chapter on the capabilities of Flash and why it is the preferred format for multimedia presentations. I would be interested in seeing a more recent update of the text now that Flash has now been acquired by Adobe and is in its ninth version. I'm especially interested in learning more about programming in ActionScript and how the various commands/structures can enhance a presentation.

That said, I though the Swiss Army Knife metaphor was very appropriate - both to Flash itself and to the whole Convergence field. I tend to get obsessive about technological nuances - of which Flash appears no shortage - and I know that I will have to keep checking myself to make sure that everything I do, at least in a professional context, serves some journalistic function. The same goes for my group's final project- we've tried to gather information in as many forms as possible, but are now at the point where we need to look at all the different options and decide which presentation means best convey our story.

No comments: