Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The good, the bad and the KOMU website

For the sake of making my blog post relevant to the literally millions of readers across Columbia, I am going to talk about layouts of a few prominent Columbia news organizations.
As we saw in class, the KOMU website was pretty ridiculous. It wasn't so much the color scheme that bothered me, though, it was just the overall clutter and chaos of literally millions of graphics all flashing and blinking and vying for my precious attention. I guess this is supposed to mimic TV in some vague, pointless way, but it definitely fails at having a decent and readable design. The problem with emulating TV by having a lot of graphics is that the internet is NOT TV, so the logic behind that kind of decision baffles me.
The Missourian website, on the other hand, is a lot nicer and friendlier to navigate. I'm not sure whether or not they were deliberately trying to emulate the way newspapers work, but it's fairly irrelevant since that style works much better online than TV does. They do a nice job of including graphics and not overwhelming the user, and unlike a lot of sites we looked at in class, there aren't ultra-intrusive ads that distract me. I think The Missourian's website is a pretty good example of how to create a news site.

No comments: