Thursday, March 13, 2008

Writing for a Visual Medium

The article I found especially helpful, yet, a bit daunting, was the "Writing the Package" reading. As a person much more comfortable in the print medium, I always knew that broadcast writing was detailed and intricate, but never quite to this degree. I'm sure, however, that it is probably much more intimidating on paper than it will be after continued practice with the equipment and the process. The section about "preplanning" was one to which I could really relate as a print person because much of the prep work and reporting that goes into each article I write seemed very similar to that which goes into prepping for a broadcast piece. Learning much of the jargon and terminology of the broadcast process is still something I need to work on much more, and this article seems like a good starting point with terms such as "focus," "lead-in," and "visual lead" helping me to start grasping the broadcast concepts more clearly. 

No comments: