Thursday, March 13, 2008

Visual Media and holding the viewer's interest

Wow - after reading these articles I know that practically every shot that was in my flash video was probably wrong for some reason but we all have to start somewhere! Personally, I found Wednesday's lecture to be easier to learn from than the articles, but I do think that they were a great supplement. I feel anxiety about writing packages because I feel that so much information must be compacted into such a short amount of time - I think it must take a lot of practice to know what is best kept in and left out. Because of this, I appreciated the "Blueprint" in the Writing the Package article that was a very basic outline of how a package should go. I have a little more print experience than broadcast so far, so I appreciated the information this article offered.
A couple of summers ago, I job shadowed at a Fox affiliate in Minneapolis and one of the things that was most told to me by reporters was "Be nice to your camera guy!" Which makes much more sense to me now, after learning the difficulty in wading through useless video to get to what you want. If you or your camera person is paying close attention and thinking about each shot, it seems that package editing time can be drastically reduced, which I thought more about after the readings.
I feel that is was a great learning experience to shoot video before going through the information gone over in lecture and in the readings, it makes much more sense and I know that I will retain more of it than I would have had I never used a professional video camera.

No comments: