Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Visual Mediums

I've had some trouble writing for a visual medium. Like some of the other people who posted, I'm used to writing for print and that's my prefferred medium. The most difficulty I've had with the video news stories is matching visuals to audio. If I have a quote or a fact that I want to include, I have to know this before I start filming in order to create context for it. This is really difficult for me because if there's a fact or something I want to include in a story that I think of after I've finished filming, it's too late to go back and get more footage.
There are some advantages to video-- it can definitely make facts more interesting. In the 60 Minutes clip we watched about pollution, the video kept my attention. If I had just been reading that story, I don't know if I would have been as engaged without the pictures to walk me through the story.

No comments: