Friday, March 7, 2008

sensing a pattern

Tracy Pfeiffer

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0308/501850_video.html?ref=newsstory

I decided to check a local television station from my hometown, Tulsa, Oklahoma. This piece is about how ODOT (the Oklahoma Department of Transportation) is installing cable barriers in between the highways instead of steel or concrete barriers. I think that, while it is important to have a visual of the cable barriers, perhaps this story did not have enough of a graphical element to be as long as it was. I felt like I was watching never-ending footage of cars driving down I-44 intercut with various angles and close-ups of cables. I don't know how I feel about the fact that instead of going to a graphic screen (or whatever it is called), they just placed the statistics for the story in the space next to the reporter. Hmm. I think it placed too much emphasis on the reporter, as if he needed more screen time or something. In terms of the script, i thought the opening and close were cute... Not necessarily funny, but cute. all in all, I think that this video could've been helped if it was shortened considerably. I felt that I was not only watching almost identical footage over and over, but also that I was listening to the same facts over and over.

No comments: